Monday, March 14, 2011

Daily Blog 1 Week 7

Konnor Drewen
3/14/011
Imagine you are a Roman in the year 264 BCE (the year of the 1st Punic War). What does your future look like? Then, look at the world around you today. What does your future look like? Think about politics, technology, culture, dominance, balance.
            If I were a Roman in the year 264 BCE, I would more than likely be in the first Punic War. I would be in this war with Carthage for the next 23 years. The Roman consul Appius Claudius Caudex and his two legions were deployed to Sicily; that being the first time an Italian army has been of the Italian Peninsula. If I were a roman I would have seen Appius Claudius Caudex leads his forces to Messina, and as the Mamertines have convinced the Carthaginians to withdraw, he met with only minimal resistance. Appius Caudex with me in the army would have entered the city of Messina to defeat the Syracusans. It would be likely that I died in battle but it would have been for my country. So in 264 BCE my future would be death in battle. Today I would not likely go to war. It would be more common for me to get a job in some business. The politics would not have as much effect on my life as they would have in Roma. In Roma I would have been forced to join the army through the draft in the United States today there is no draft. The technology in ancient Roma would have been worse so I would have died earlier. The cultural differences would have been great seeing how I am not ancient Roman. They believed in many gods, on the other hand I believe in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment